George Newton VFW Post 1607

About Us

The George Newton Veterans of Foreign Wars’ Post 1607 has a rich tradition of enhancing the lives of Southbury residents through its community service programs and special projects. Whether working closely with local schools to promote Veteran awareness or establishing and raising money for the Thank-A-Soldier Program the VFW is there, “honoring the dead by helping the living”.

VFW Post 1607

Located in the Lakeside section of Southbury, Connecticut VFW Post 1607 began in 1928 with 13 men who met in Tony Candido’s barbershop on Oak Tree Road. They eventually moved to the current location during the 1960s after members purchased the building from the Lakeside Community Association (LCA). Constructed in 1940 overlooking Lake Zoar, the building was originally used by the LCA as a gathering hall and community center. The veterans today keep the building’s tradition of being a community-gathering center alive by allowing the public use of the hall in exchange for a requested donation.


George Newton VFW Post 1607